plight of Hindus in Pakistan
5. There were 400+ Hindu temples in the Sindh region of Pakistan at the time of partition in 1947. Now, there are barely 20, with the rest of the temples either having been demolished and desecrated or converted into mosques. The Evacuee Trust Property Board of Pakistan should have a Hindu or Sikh as its head as per the Liaqat Ali – Nehru Pact. But today, all 6 official members of the Board are Muslims and of the 18 non-official members only 8 are Hindus and Sikhs.
The Evacuee Trust Property Board has been criticised for leasing sacred Hindu temples. The board rented out the historic Kali Bari Hindu Temple to a Muslim in Dera Ismail Khan in 2014 and the temple is being converted and used as the Taj Mahal Hotel. Frontier Constabulary officials, with the help of the board, have occupied the Shamshan Ghaat in Dera Ismail Khan and the Hindu community is unable to cremate their dead because of the unavailability of Shamshan Ghaat and is forced to bury them in a graveyard shared by members of other faiths. As per Hindu custom, the body should be cremated and not buried. Hindus are being denied their due even after their death.
6. Menial jobs are reserved for minorities, while claiming that Islam treats everyone equally. In most of Pakistan the menial jobs are primarily reserved for Christians. The menial jobs are mostly removing solid waste and sweeping the roads and public places, often at below minimum wages.
7. Even well-known people are no exception to these attacks. The only Hindu ever to play cricket for Pakistan has spoken out about the degrading treatment he received from his team mates. This has also been confirmed by one of his Muslim team mates. The Muslim player has come under attack for supporting the Hindu player’s allegations.
8. Activists of all kinds – Hindus, Christians, Baloch activists are in constant fear of murder, even if they leave Pakistan. Two Baloch activists have been found dead in a river and lake following several death threats – one in Sweden and another in Canada. A third activist, who was calling attention to the plight of Christians in Pakistan was attacked with a knife and suffered serious injuries in South Korea. The ISI has been the suspect in all these cases.
9. In 2010, after a delay of 44 and 24 years respectively, Pakistan signed and ratified two key international treaties of United Nations – namely the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and the Convention Against Torture and other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment (CAT). However, the people of the country do not have recourse to any law. The UN is a spectator to the ugly spectacle of spiralling religious intolerance, government inaction, and judicial collusion in Pakistan.
It is with deep trepidation at what is in store for the remaining minorities in Pakistan. Please support INSIGHT UK by raising awareness and participating in our campaigns to help the minorities in Pakistan before it’s too late. We thank you in advance for your support and help.
2019 Report on International Religious Freedom: Pakistan – Office of International Religious Freedom: https://www.state.gov/reports/2019-report-on-international-religious-freedom/pakistan/
Even death does not spare the Hindus: Sordid behaviour of the Evacuee Trust Property Board. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacuee_Trust_Property_Board
Here is the comprehensive report produced by the University of Birmingham on this very issue. Reference link: Forced Conversions and Forced Marriages in Sindh, Pakistan (birmingham.ac.uk)
The following 2017 article provides information of a few general examples of cases of Hindu girls kidnapped and forced to convert to Islam, explaining some of the fundamentalist Islamist reasons behind this as well as the fact that a mere decade ago, it is likely that these cases would have never come to light. Reference: Hindu Today, Muslim Tomorrow: Forced Conversions in Pakistan – The Atlantic
The following PDF document provides details of several cases of abduction, assault, conversion and forced marriage of minority girls and women. Reference: News_clippings_by_PDSN_2012.pdf (idsn.org)
In June 2020, the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan itself reported that minority communities such as the Hindu community has a history of being targets for conversion and oppression: Reference: Pakistan: ‘102 Hindus convert to Islam; temple turns into mosque’ (timesnownews.com)
Recently, a human rights activist within Pakistan, Rahat Austin, was stabbed due to his defence of minorities. His Twitter handle, @johnaustin47 has a number of further evidence about the oppression of minorities and forced abductions, assaults and conversions of Hindu, Sikh, Christian and other girls. You can find out more about the stabbing at https://www.australiannews.net/news/267463617/pakistan-minority-rights-activist-attacked-in-s-korea
BBC source (2014) with interviews of victims forced to convert to Pakistan: Reference: Stories of forced conversion to Islam in Pakistan – BBC News
Pakistani source (June 2019) highlighting the abduction and assault of a Hindu girl: Reference: 13-year-old girl raped after being intoxicated in Tando Muhammad Khan, two arrested | Pakistan Today
Indian source (October 2019) highlighting the abduction, assault and forceful conversion of a Hindu girl, alongside reference to the murder of a separate case in with a Hindu medical student was murdered: Reference: Another Hindu girl abducted from Pakistan’s Sindh province, forced to convert (indiatoday.in)
January 2020 – A Pakistani Sikh appealing for help on Twitter – this plea demonstrates the plight of minorities in general: Reference: https://twitter.com/SabahKashmiri/status/1220559226143035392
Pakistani source (2017) Case of a Pakistani girl named Sita kidnapped in front of her parents: Reference: How Sita lost her faith and family – Pakistan – DAWN.COM
Forbes Magazine (May 2020) – Details of cases of Christian girls forcibly abducted, converted and/or married: Reference: Yet Another Girl In Pakistan Abducted, Forcibly Converted And Forcibly ‘Married’ To Her Abductor (forbes.com)
Indian source (September 2016) – a video of a Hindu woman being sold by a policeman. Reference: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/video/pakistan-hindu-women-sold-pakistan-cop/1/760598.html
UK source (January 2021) detailing the case of a Christian minor who was abducted and assaulted. Reference: Christian girl, 12, who was ‘kidnapped, raped and chained up by man, 45, in Pakistan, is rescued | Daily Mail Online
Pakistani source (June 2017) – 16 year old Hindu girl kidnapped, forcibly converted and married: Reference: Outrage over teenage Hindu girl’s conversion in Thar – Newspaper – DAWN.COM
Twitter source detailing the torture and hanging of two Hindu girls in a police officer’s room: Reference: MyIndMakers on Twitter: “Two Hindu girls found hanging inside police officer’s room in Pakistan’s Sindh https://t.co/mf8s1D6qcU” / Twitter
American source (2018) from Washington post detailing the conversion of members of the rare and endangered Kalash community to Islam, with particular mention of girls marrying Muslims or being encouraged to convert by their teachers – there are various other sources testifying to this issue: Reference: An ancient community in Pakistan fades as conversions to Islam rise – The Washington Post
An Indian source (September 2020) detailing how girls are kidnapped and converted while covering up their status as minors: Reference: Is she 18? How Pakistan’s forced conversion of minors gets legal cover (theprint.in)
Here are various videos:01_Statement of a former PTI MLA (member of Legislative Assembly in Pakistan) seeking asylum in India.mp402_Christian Lady Doctor attacked in Pakistan.mp4
03_Sikhs are killed for refusing to convert into Islam.mp4
04_Ill-treatment to Hindus in Pakistan.mp4
05_ Sikh girl in Pakistan forcibly converted _ married, kin seek Imran’s help.mp4
06_Pak Sikh persecution highlighting atrocities on women_1.mp4
07_Pak Sikh persecution highlighting atrocities on women_2.mp4
08_Plight of Sikhs, Christians & Hindus in Pak.mp4
Overview of kidnapping and conversion of girls to Islam in Pakistan (December 2020). Reference: Each year, 1,000 Pakistani girls forcibly converted to Islam – ABC News (go.com)
July 2020 (British Source) – Guardian article describing the halting of construction of a Hindu temple by activists. Reference: Islamic activists halt construction of first Hindu temple in Islamabad | Pakistan | The Guardian
July 2012 – A Pakistani source describing the glorification of conversion on live television. Reference: The drastic decline of Pakistani minorities – Pakistan – DAWN.COM
December 2020 – an account by Pakistani cricketer Danish Kaneria on how Hindus are treated: Reference: BITTER TRUTH !!! | Danish Kaneria – YouTube
January 2020 – a Pakistani source detailing how menial and unsanitary jobs are oftentimes delegated to non-Muslim citizens. Reference: Why is sanitation work reserved for non-Muslim minorities in Pakistan? | Encore | thenews.com.pk
Baloch activist and journalist found dead in Sweden where he had sought asylum. Reference: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/missing-pakistani-journalist-found-dead-in-sweden-sajid-hussain
Pakistan human rights activist Karima Baloch was found dead in Canada. Reference: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/22/world/pakistani-activist-canada-death-intl-hnk/index.html
Pakistan human rights activist Rahat John Austin attacked in South Korea: https://www.australiannews.net/news/267463617/pakistan-minority-rights-activist-attacked-in-s-korea